Friday, March 24, 2006

Garlic and Sapphires

Author: Ruth Reichl
Published: March 28, 2006 (Penguin)
Category: Memoir/Food
Quote of Choice: "The King of Spain is waiting in the bar, but your table is ready."

First off, I think this book is meant to be savored as many of the delicious meals Reichl describes deserved to be savored. Her writing is so lovely and perfect for everything that I could almost taste the food she was criticizing.

I found myself sucked into the book with the first page, and that happens very rarely with me. And even rarer, when that happens, I can't put the book down, no matter how late it is and how early I have to wake up the next morning - but that didn't happen with Garlic and Sapphires. I wanted to read it slower and really comprehend the lush descriptions of those lovely dishes.

I always thought that being a restaurant critic would be a really easy job, but after reading this book, I've changed my mind. Reichl visited restaurants no fewer than three times before passing judgment. Yes, that sounds really cool to be eating out at these fancy restaurants on your company's dime, but doing it all the time, having to pay attention and remember that the chef used a hint of pineapple juice in the soup - seems quite exhausting. And what if the restaurant was that bad?

To keep things fair, Reichl disguised herself to prevent any special treatment as the New York Times food critic. Once, she went to a restaurant "as herself" and was seated before the King of Spain. In her disguises, Reichl found that there were other parts to her personality that she kept stifled and sometimes, these facets weren't something to be proud of. Because of this, Garlic and Sapphires becomes more than a book about food at fancy restaurants I can't afford, but someone's journey to find a place for herself even when a lot of people envy her current occupation. This connects strongly to me because of my whole "I quit law school even though people think becoming a lawyer is the best choice for a good career" thing.

Four stars.

No comments: