Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Boleyn Inheritance

Author: Philippa Gregory
Published: December 2006 (Simon & Schuster)
Category: Historical Fiction
Rating: 8/10

I'll admit that I had no interest in reading Philippa Gregory up until a couple weeks ago. I figured that she was just another one of those authors that people suddenly go crazy for and say that she's the best thing since sliced bread. Can a book about the wives of a fat tyrant be that interesting? Will I be disappointed like when I doggedly read the first three books of the Shopaholic series? But then a free copy of The Boleyn Inheritance fell into my lap, thanks to my boss, and I figured I'd give it a shot. After all, it's not like I wasted money on it, and I was pleasantly surprised very soon after I started reading it.

The story is narrated by three women: Jane Boleyn, Anne of Cleves, and Katherine Howard. Jane, widow of George Boleyn, is the sister-in-law to Anne Boleyn, and it was her testimony that sent the two to their deaths. She believes she made the incriminating statement to save George, but she was being manipulated by her uncle, the Duke of Norfolk (the most evil person in the story, in my opinion), who took advantage of Jane's jealousy of Anne. Anne of Cleves is King Henry's fourth wife, married for political reasons and quickly rejected by him when she shows her distaste for his appearance (he was practically as wide as he was tall, and smelled of rotting flesh from his old jousting wound). She reminded him of how old he actually was, when everyone else was pulling an "Emperor's New Clothes" on him, pretending that he's always the winner in everything and the most handsome man in court. Katherine is Henry's fifth wife, a silly girl of fifteen, and uses her beauty of whorish wiles to make Henry feel young again. She doesn't care for him, just the gifts he gives her.

The Boleyn Inheritance is rich with historical detail, and I found myself admiring Anne of Cleves for her courage. She knew Henry could execute her if he wanted to get rid of her, but she also didn't want to return to Cleves, as her brother was abusive (not sure if that's historically accurate). Because of the potential of insulting the Protestant nations, Henry could not execute her and instead annulled the marriage, claiming that her previous betrothal to a Duke of Lorraine's son was never canceled (it had been). She was given a generous settlement and made a Princess of England, and Henry called her his sister. Even after she survived the brief marriage to Henry, she remained cautious and prepared for the day Henry went back on his word and had her dragged to the Tower of London. Anne also used this time to grow into her own person, without having to worry about her brother or a crazy tyrant at her every step. People notice that Anne is actually a graceful and eloquent woman, far more suited to be queen than her successor.

I pitied Jane Boleyn, as it appears she's never been completely right in the head. She lived and breathed her service to the king and her uncle. She always believed she was doing her duty, whether it was right or wrong, and she was so easily manipulated by her uncle. It only stresses how much women were regarded as pawns in a gigantic power play.

As for Katherine Howard, I didn't pity her at all. She was a silly girl with no idea of what propriety was, and flirted with the king because he might give her sables or jewelry. She also didn't seem to consider the fact that she was in danger of execution like her aunt, Anne Boleyn, who died because of her supposed adultery. Katherine started having an affair (understandably though - Henry was old enough to be her grandfather and he stunk something awful) with Thomas Culpepper and they were both executed because of it.

The historical details and strong characters made for such a compelling story. The women's fear of being executed at the king's whim was almost palpable and I couldn't stop reading, even though I knew what was really going to happen to them. Well, it's been a while since I've had to study Henry VIII, so I did have to get a little Wikipedia refresher course.

No comments: