Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dance Upon the Air

Author: Nora Roberts
Published: June 1, 2001 (Jove)
Category: Romance/Paranormal Romance
Series: Three Sisters Island Trilogy #1
Rating: 9/10

I picked this one up for two reasons: 1. Jennie recommended it and 2. I'm craving another Nora Roberts + magic trilogy since the second book in her Sign of Seven trilogy doesn't release until May. Don't remind me of the Circle trilogy, because that was so bad I don't like to think about it.

When I started reading Nell Channing's story, I thought, "Oh here we go, it's a mix of Angels Fall and Montana Sky." Nell suffered an abusive marriage for three years and escaped by faking her death, changing her name, and traveling from California to Three Sisters Island off the New England coast. Unlike those other books, Nell was destined to wind up on that island.

During the late 1600s, when the great witch hunts were occurring, three sister witches, called Air, Earth, and Fire, called on their power to create a safe place, and according to legend/history, Three Sisters Island split off from Massachusetts. However, an evil spirit hunted down the sisters, cursing the island to crash into the sea unless their descendents could break the curse.

Roberts created the island so perfectly, with her descriptions of this little town where everyone knows everybody. It sounded so lovely that I wanted to live there! I loved the descriptions of Nell's work at Cafe Book (owned by Mia Devlin, another descendent of the three), and her romance with Zack Todd, sheriff of the island, was so sweet. Of course he was meant for her, and he was patient and determined to show Nell that he was definitely not like her abusive husband.

I loved this book so much that I wanted to pick up the next one, which is about Ripley (Zack's sister), the descendent of Earth. Woe is me! I have the third book in my TBR, but never got my hands on the second, so I have to order it and not get instant gratification.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

MWAHAHA! I so made you into a NR fanatic. Hee hee. I love this one too -- especially the descriptions of the idyllic little town. The rest of the trilogy is just as good. I own the second one if you haven't gotten your copy by this weekend, you can borrow. :)

Dora said...

Heh, I actually read this last month and didn't get to the review until today, so I've actually finished the trilogy already!