Saturday, April 15, 2006

Derik's Bane

Author: MaryJanice Davidson
Published: January 4, 2005 (Berkley)
Category: Paranormal Romance
Quote of Choice: "Do I look like I'm worried about irritating someone who licks his testicles during a full moon?"

Ah, here we have the classic romance formula: guy has to handle some non-romantic matter (in this case, Derik must kill Sara, a reincarnation of Morgan Le Fay or the world will end) with a woman who can't stand him, and they wind up falling in love. I should also mention that Derik happens to be a werewolf and Sara is an accidental sorceress. She always finds that she has the best luck when she really needs it (i.e. winning the lottery 4 times whenever she had to pay her school loans and such).

Davidson writes great dialogue; it's super funny! However, I found that the end of the story was a bit weak, almost like the book was too short and the author copped out on the ending. You know: smash, wham, a bit o' glue and bang! Here's your ending! I think I gave a "Huh?" when I got to the end and we figured out the whole "Sara's an evil sorceress and will end the world" dilemma.

Maybe I would've liked the book better if I'd read the other Wyndham Werewolf stories?

No comments: