Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Born in Fire

Author: Nora Roberts
Published: October 1, 1994 (Jove)
Category: Romance
Series: Born In #1
Rating: 7/10

Yet another Jennie-approved book. She practically glued this one to my forehead to make this my next Nora Roberts read.

The couple in Born in Fire is the typical alpha male + strong, independent woman. Rogan Sweeney is the head of an Irish corporation that operates art galleries worldwide. He wants to open a gallery showcasing Irish artists and the first step in that direction is to find a new Irish superstar artist. He finds his next artist in a piece of beautifully blown glass in his grandmother's home. Unfortunately, the artist, Maggie Concannon is fiercely independent and doesn't want someone telling her to how to make art and when to make it.

Honestly, I didn't care for Maggie that much. She was too spiny a character for me to like. A hot millionaire who loves her and respects her talent wants a relationship with her, and she's all, "I like being a hermit and you might someday ask me to create a piece on commission that I don't want to do!" I don't remember very much about the development of their love story, but it seemed as though Rogan was doing a lot of the work on it and waiting for Maggie to come around. Then again, Maggie did have a rough family life, with a mother who hated the man she married and produced two daughters out of duty and didn't bother raising them or maintaining their household. She left the work to her daughters and husband while staying abed claiming some imaginary illness.

The descriptions of the Irish countryside, the art galleries, and Maggie's glass blowing were fabulous though. But didn't I start reading this book for the romance? Despite my dislike of how the romance was handled, the book was well written, and set the reader up for the next book in the trilogy, Born in Ice, about Maggie's sister Brianna, and I am eager to read her story.

No comments: