Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Blood Brothers

Author: Nora Roberts
Published: November 27, 2007 (Jove)
Category: Paranormal Romance
Series: The Sign of Seven Trilogy #1
Rating: 10/10

I have to wait until May 2008 to read the next in the trilogy?

Excellent spooky elements. Fewer things horrify me more than the idea of a monster on the other side of my non-ground floor window in the middle of the night. I imagine Blood Brothers is a combination of Stephen King and Nora Roberts. Don't take my word for it though, as I've tried to like King, but can't because I don't want to read about the character's alcoholism when all I want is a good scary story (not that alcoholism isn't scary).

Basically, three boys accidentally release a demon on their birthday, and every seven years, for seven days in July, their town goes crazy, with people hurting each other and having no memory of it when the week is over. The boys, now men, try to help as much as possible during every occurrence. Each of the three has special psychic powers (i.e. seeing into the past, the future, etc.) and have remarkable healing powers.

This first entry into the Sign of Seven Trilogy focuses on Caleb and Quinn, the partner fate has handed him. Quinn is doing research on the town of Hawkins Hollow and the odd events that occur every seven years, and contacts Caleb a town leader and descendant of the town founders. While she's investigating, Caleb takes her into the haunted woods where lots of creepy things happen, and she's also stalked by the demon as well.

As the book progresses, the other members of their group convene. Fox, who still lives in Hawkins Hollow, and Gage, playboy/gambler, and Layla and Cybil, two more women who will pair up with the Fox and Gage by the end of the trilogy. I didn't enjoy Roberts' Circle Trilogy, where all six characters were introduced in the same book, but the book's featured couple was lost in the mix. I was afraid this new trilogy would suffer the same fate, but I can happily say that Blood Brothers balances the scary with the developing romance and the large cast of supporting characters.

The most disappointing thing is the six months' wait until the second book, The Hollow. If I'd bothered to check into this, I would've tried slowing down my reading!

No comments: