Friday, March 14, 2008

Lost and Found

Author: Jayne Ann Krentz
Published: November 1, 2001 (Jove)
Category: Romance
Rating: 7/10

I picked up this Krentz because I was doing my usual weekend dance of "what do I want to read," which was made worse by the fact that I was traveling to visit Jennie and her sister for a long weekend as well. I probably drove Josh crazy with my, "Do I have enough books? What if I don't like what I brought?" Not that Jennie didn't have books I could read while visiting or anything like that.

Cady Briggs is useful to mack Easton. Her expertise in art and antiques helps his low-profile company, Lost and Found, find missing treasures for high-paying clients. But Cady knows that being useful to a client is one thing - and being used is another. So no matter how alluring she finds Mack, she plans to keep business and pleasure entirely separate.

But then a sudden tragedy puts Cady in charge of Chatelaine's, her family's prestigious art and antiques gallery. Suddenly the roles are reversed, as strange developments at Chatelaine's lead Cady to ask for help from none other than Mack Easton. And instead of tracking down missing masterpieces together, they'll be hunting for a killer.

I always enjoy the plot device where the hero and heroine pose as an engaged couple so they can investigate a mystery. The mystery was quite good, very layered with a surprise at the end after you think everything's been settled neatly. I liked the way Cady and Mack started out, dealing via e-mail and phone calls when he needed her expert opinion. Each of them thought the person on the other end of the line was their fantasy, but they kept the idea at arm's length because this is strictly business.

This was a good book, nothing mind blowing, but got me through most of my plane ride.

No comments: