Sunday, March 16, 2008

This Heart of Mine

Author: Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Published: February 2002 (Avon)
Category: Romance
Series: Chicago Stars #5
Rating: 8/10

Jennie and I have a little problem. We can't resist the Borders Rewards coupons that appear in our inboxes every week. "I have to buy a book because I have a 25% coupon!" is what usually runs through my head, while I also tell myself that I have a huge TBR and there's nothing I really want anyways. While I was visiting Jennie, we each had coupons and she recommended Susan Elizabeth Phillips to me.

Molly Somerville, sister to Phoebe Somerville, owner of the Chicago Stars football team, has always been the good girl. However, that's not really what she's like, and the pressure of being perfect vents itself once in a while in outrageous behavior. Like when she gave away her $15 million dollar inheritance, or when she pulled the fire alarm at her school. Or the time when she was stuck in her sister's cabin with her crush, Stars quarterback Kevin Tucker, and she took advantage of him while he was asleep. And got pregnant.

When Molly's pregnancy is discovered, Kevin does the honorable thing (with some encouragement from Phoebe's husband) and marries her. The two don't really get along, partially because Kevin has never noticed Molly and doesn't remember her name. However, when Molly suffers a miscarriage on their way to their honeymoon, Kevin is kind and gentle, and he's suddenly a hero. He even helps Molly get out of her depressive funk after the loss, taking her to a summer lake resort he's inherited.

Shouldered with the burden of resort guests and preparing meals, Molly heals and finds peace, while she and Kevin fall in love. It's a very endearing story, and the ending is perfect.

Hooray for new authors with backlists! I'm going to plow through the Chicago Stars series, and use some more coupons that way.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm glad you liked this! I really liked several of the others in this series. Especially Match Me If You Can.

Julie calls me a sucker every time I tell her I have a Borders coupon to use. But then she gets coupons from Banana Republic or JCrew and she has to rush out to use those. So she really shouldn't make fun of me. :p

Dora said...

Heh, it saved me at the airport when my flight was delayed. I'll work my way through the series!