Thursday, August 09, 2007

Ceremony in Death

Author: J.D. Robb
Published: May 1, 1997 (Berkley)
Category: Romantic Suspense
Rating: 9/10

I don't really have much to say about Nora Roberts' J.D. Robb books because I enjoy all of them, and there are so many to read! The best thing about her series and trilogies is the epilogue that is supplied by the following book. I often feel gypped when I get to the last page of her standalone novels and say, "That's it? No epilogue?"

I read this one two weeks ago, so I'll rely on the blurb.

Conducting a top secret investigation into the death of a fellow police officer has Lieutenant Eve Dallas treading on dangerous ground. She must put professional ethics before personal loyalties. But when a dead body is placed outside her home, Eve takes the warning personally. With her husband, Roarke, watching her every move, Eve is drawn into the most dangerous case of her career. Every step she takes makes her question her own beliefs of right and wrong - and brings her closer to a confrontation with humanity's most seductive form of evil...

I find it funny that they say that this is Eve's most dangerous case, when each book seems to follow her most dangerous case. In Ceremony in Death, I found Eve to be the most human and vulnerable I've ever seen. She's trying to clear a recently deceased cop of some accusations, and Feeney, her mentor, is close to the family. When he finds out what Eve has been doing, he's furious and accuses her of being cold, and it breaks her. The wonderful Roarke knows exactly what has made Eve upset and steps in (discreetly of course) and gives Feeney the necessary kick in the pants. Sigh. I love Roarke.

I really enjoyed this, but the crime-solving part wasn't my favorite of the series.

No comments: