Friday, August 17, 2007

Night Game

Author: Christine Feehan
Published: November 1, 2005 (Jove)
Category: Paranormal Romance
Rating: 7/10

I've never read Christine Feehan before, and she seems to be really popular in the paranormal romance category, so I figured I'd give her a shot. While reading the back cover copy, I snorted to myself because it says the hero's name is Gator. I wasn't so sure that I could deal with a romance novel with a hero by that name (sorry to guys out there named Gator), but that's just his nickname. He's actually got the sexy name of Raoul.

Gator Fontenot of the Special Forces paranormal squad can't refuse an urgent request to save the elusive Iris "Flame" Johnson, a victim of the same horrific experiments that warped Gator. Now unleashed, she's a red-haired weapon of unimaginable destructive powers, a walking time bomb bent on revenge in the sultry bayous of New Orleans and hunted by a shadowy assassin. It's Gator's job to reel Flame in. But can two people haunted by violent betrayals trust the passion that soon ignites between them? Or is one of them just playing another seductive and deadly night game?

Apparently, this is a series about genetic experiments done to enhance psychic and physical abilities. A scientist experimented on several volunteers from various divisions of the armed forces and for female subjects, he purchased orphans from European orphanages. The men have since learned of the scientist's wicked ways and have formed a fighting unit called the Ghostwalkers. The men have different special abilities, like Raoul has the ability to use sound as a weapon (i.e. producing the brown note to make people have.... upset tummies, I'll call it to be delicate), ranging from stunning/confusing his enemies, to actual widespread death.


I was confused sometimes during the beginning of the book because there were references to things and characters (I assume) from previous books in the series. Despite the confusion, I enjoyed the book. Feehan wrote some really good sexual tension between Raoul and Flame. And thankfully, Flame didn't call Raoul by his nickname; if she did, the sex scenes would've been giggle inducing for sure.

I wanted Flame and Raoul to get over their suspicion of the strong attraction between them. True, they were right to wonder if they were the subjects of a long-planned scientific experiment, thinking they were designed to be each other's mates, but the tension was getting boring. Raoul's grandmother decided to move things along by replacing Flame's clothing with sexy numbers and racy lingerie (I loved Raoul's grandma).

I will add Feehan to my list of authors to read. The action and relationships with supporting characters were well-written. Very entertaining and hard to put down, which is rare for me to say in a book where they keep using italics to say stuff like "cherie," and that happens a lot as Raoul talks like Gambit of the X-Men.

No comments: