Friday, August 24, 2007

Changeling

Author: Yasmine Galenorn
Published: June 5, 2007 (Berkley)
Category: Urban Fantasy
Series: Sisters of the Moon #2
Rating: 8/10

Book two of the Sisters of the Moon series is told from the POV of Delilah, the werecat who changes into a long-haired gold tabby rather than something really scary, like a puma. She sometimes can't control her change (besides the full moon change), and besides family stress, temptations such as Christmas ornaments can cause her to change against her will. She's also the middle child of the family, and her sisters think she's most like their mother, with her gentle and optimistic nature.
Someone's been slaughtering the Weres of the Rainier Puma Pride, and my sisters and I have been enlisted to investigate by Zachary Lyonnesse, golden boy of the were pumas. Right away we smelled demon trouble, and we tracked it directly into the snare of the Hunters Moon Clan, sworn enemies of Puma Pride. But there's more than Were rivalry at work. It's that old demon Shadow Wing who's setting a deadly snare for the Pumas. We have to find our why, which means a visit to one of the Immortals. Unfortunately for my sisters and me, our half-human blood is just enough to put us in mortal danger.
Changeling was a great read. Galenorn brings back all the supporting characters from Witchling, which is really nice, and Iris the sprite joins the girls' household, and she's really tough for a little lady! And the monsters in this one are new to me— who would've imagined werespiders for enemies? It's nasty and there's the dilemma of preventing little spider spies from sneaking into your house or car. And every spider is suspect to being a werespider or a servant of werespiders. And the degath squad (scouting party) sent forth by Shadow Wing this time was much more interesting than the one in Witchling, with one member as a newer incarnation of the creator of the Hunters Moon Clan.

This is what I was looking for when I tried reading Laurell K. Hamilton's Meredith Gentry series, only to find a storyline that didn't go anywhere because everyone was too busy sexin'. I enjoyed this book more than Witchling, where the story was good, but I had enough of Camille's sex life. I don't need it burned into my skull that three very hot men want her and are ready to have a testosterone battle royale over her. I get it, I get it. No need to repeat it.

A very cool thing: To solve the problem of werespiderlings invading their home, an elf mage casts a pest repellent spell that will last several months. He said that hundreds of creepy-crawlies left after it was cast, and I thought that I could use one of those spells! After one waterbug incident, every one after that is too many.

I'm very interested to see what happens with Delilah and Chase. I know Galenorn said that her books are not paranormal romances and not to expect HEAs, but Delilah had a taste of mating with a werepuma (Zachary), and realized that she'd fallen for Chase. It's left hanging for another time, so no HEA in this book, as expected; we aren't halfway through the series yet.

So there is a repeat of the formula from Witchling. There's a degath squad from hell stirring up trouble; our heroine has to seek out divine help but must pay a price (higher than the one paid in Witchling too; and she's attracted to more than one man.

Darkling, which is told from Menolly's viewpoint, is scheduled for a January 2008 release. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really need to start reading this series. I have both of the first two books ready and waiting on my shelf, but they will sadly have to wait until next year as I have so much to read at the moment. I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the review.